It’s mosquito season once again, and some have probably have tried home pest control in Frisco, TX to come out and spray for the tiny bloodsuckers. Even though sprays are effective, the fight against mosquitoes is never ending until the cold weather arrives. Luckily there are a few ways to deal with mosquitoes and their annoying bites.
Here are five tips for dealing with mosquitoes:
- Use repellents with DEET concentration. Mosquitoes, unfortunately, are attracted to the smells and everything else that goes on with our bodies, so they’ll always be attracted to us. However repellent with DEET can at least keep a majority of mosquitoes off us. Be warned that a high concentration of DEET doesn’t mean effectiveness, rather how long the spray is effective before reapplying is needed. Be sure to use the proper level of concentration for your needs. If you’re uncomfortable with using DEET, then the EPA recommends using picaridin and lemon eucalyptus oil.
- Coat yourself with repellant thoroughly. Two quick sprays of repellent won’t protect you from mosquitoes; they will find an opening and exploit it. Not only spray your exposed skin, but clothing as well to get the most out of using repellent.
- Citronella candles aren’t sufficient. What keeps the mosquitoes at bay with candles is not the citronella, but it is the smoke that is emitted that repels mosquitoes. So at your next backyard bash, candles aren’t the best solution; having a fire going in a fire pit will emit more smoke that would be more effective, though could be unpleasant to stand next to in the summer.
- Mosquito traps can be effective. Mosquito traps, when used correctly, can be quite helpful to keep the mosquito population down in around your home. However, mosquitoes are excellent hunters and not easily fooled; if you’re standing next to a mosquito trap, they will, in most cases, go for you. To get the most effectiveness out of a mosquito trap, call home pest control in Frisco, TX.
- Treat mosquito bites properly. Nobody can avoid being bit by mosquitoes no matter how hard you try, but to get over bites quickly, first don’t scratch it! Tap the area around it. Avoid using Benadryl and Caladryl, as those are more meant for skin irritation from poison ivy. Use ice and low-potency hydrocortisone instead. If you’re having an extreme reaction to a mosquito bite, then seek a medical professional, and usually, prescription strength steroids will do the trick. Remember the itching will stop eventually.
Get your home ready this mosquito season by having home pest control in Frisco, TX help you get your house prepared. Call Bug Commander at (214) 307-1933 today!